The Dutch diamond-cutter Alfred Van Cleef and his father-in-law, Salomon Arpels, founded the company in 1896. In 1906, following Arpels’s death, Alfred and two of his brothers-in-law, Charles and Julien, acquired space for Van Cleef & Arpels at 22 Place Vendôme, across from the Hôtel Ritz, where Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique shop. The third Arpels brother, Louis Arpels, joined the company in 1913.
Van Cleef & Arpels today is a French luxury jewelry company, their pieces often feature flowers, animals, and fairies.
Van Cleef and Arpels is the jewelry garden where magic makes melodies.